Thursday, May 28, 2015

Tybee Day 2 Part 2

One thing I really liked about this experience is that it reminded me a lot of what camp is like.  Eric has never been to camp, and he was quite surprised to learn that all the people share a dorm/cabin.  We lucked out in our sleeping arrangements.  We shared a dorm with two other moms and their two almost 8 year old boys.  The dorms were arranged with a large room with 4 bunk beds, and a small room with two beds.  There was a large bathroom off the main room with two showers and two toilets.  And there was a small bathroom off the small room.  Since the other moms and boys were friends, we ended up in the smaller room with our own bathroom.  It was perfect!  E was quite happy about that arrangement.  E also got to experience his first lunchroom tray meals.  Going through the line, getting a tray, and then having a few things on a bar outside the kitchen that you could add to it.  The first time was interesting to watch, because the fella had no clue.  Another thing camp-like was KP.  Each group had to do KP for one meal.  I always enjoyed having Kitchen Patrol at camp.  In fact, one summer, I worked it at almost every meal.  I know.  Crazy, right?

Supper the second night was our KP night.




Then we had two more classes.  I was so exhausted this day.  Between the heat, sunburn, and amount of information thrown my way, I was mentally checked out.  The fellas and ladies in our dorm were not going to do the night classes and headed to the beach.  We debated joining them, but E wanted to do the classes.  

So, time for another dissection.  




These squid were again juveniles.  They were freshly caught, so no preservatives.  They are by-catch, meaning they were caught in shrimping boats' nets by mistake and then sold to the 4H center for research purposes.  Since they had not been preserved, we were completely hands on.  EW!  My hands smelled like squid for 24 hours.  



If you rubbed the mantle with your fingernail, you could activate the chromatophores, making them appear to get darker and blend together.  


Pulling out the beak. 


If you pulled the beak just right, you could get the esophagus.  Way to go, E!
(you  may notice some of the kids in the background wearing gloves.  Our entire table, except for E, insisted on wearing gloves.  E thought about it, but they did not really want us to, so we didn't)


Separating the mantle from the head.  


Eyes.  Yuck.  There was so much yucky juice around these.  I failed to mention in my previous post that the eyes of the shark were the hardest part for me.  So gross.  This wasn't as bad.  


Inside the squid.  Ours was a boy.  (so was our shark.  I think I failed to mention that too) 


Writing his initials with the ink from the ink sac.  Ours didn't have much ink, so we borrowed a little from another girl at the table.  



They had a canteen with snacks and souvenirs.  Eric bought this shark's tooth necklace with his money.  You could get an artificial one, or for $2 more, one with a real shark's tooth.  So, here is E with his real shark's tooth necklace. 

At this point, I could tell E was exhausted also, but he wanted to do the next class.  He said it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Oh, that fella.  So, on to reptiles.


We learned all about snakes, turtles, alligators, lizards.  And then we got to hold some.  Oh joy!


Can you see the joy on my face?  Cause it's there, people.  It's there.  



Then I got to be first to hold this beauty.  Oh the things we do for our children. 





Then this lovely massive thing came out.  He was a big old fella.  And my sweet, precious son filmed me holding it.  Can you sense the joy, friends?  I was even singing to it.  



Notice the women laugh at the end.  Yeah, none of them held a snake.  Just sayin.  


We got to pet the young American Alligator.  And yes, I did that too.  But it wasn't nearly as exciting as the snakes.  




This little turtle was a fast fella.  



But so pretty.  Aren't his colors interesting?



Another video from redstone dragon 23.  He's my favorite!


Loved this sea turtle.  I wanted to take her home with  me. 


Unfortunately she is a bit too big for us.  

Day 2 is done.  Whew!  We were so tired.  If you couldn't see the crazy setting in in those pictures, then you missed something.  But it was so worth it.  What a great day!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I cannot believe you actually held a snake!!

Tracy said...

I know. 3 of them actually. The things we do for our kiddos...