Monday, November 16, 2015

Service project

Yesterday we had another service project with the 5th and 6th graders at church.  It was fun but completely exhausting.  I fell asleep last night before either of my boys were even in bed.  Those who know me know that I always wait until E is asleep before I can settle in.  He was downstairs, wasn't even in bed yet.  That shows you how very, very tired I was.  :)

We started at 11:05 by decorating cards for the 66 residents of an assisted living facility.  Then the kids decorated 66 boxes to put treats in.


Here are the cards Eric made.  I thought they were sweet.  He came up with a different little saying for each one.  Most of the kids made one card 8 times.  But, you know Eric...


Decorating boxes.


We ate some pizza.  

Then the kids broke into small teams and baked goodies.  Most of the kids did not have experience following directions on the back, so this was interesting.  Eric's group was the only one that didn't flub the recipe.  (He was the recipe reader.)


The kids loved the baking.  






We packaged the treats and put those into the boxes.  We also included a bag of lotion and other little hygiene items.  Then we headed out to the home.  

However, we had left too early, so we went to the Roswell Mill for an hour first.  It was a neat place.  A terrible place for me to hike in my church shoes though.  But it is definitely a place I want to take my crew back for some pictures.  


This young lady got her feelings hurt when I was going to take a selfie with just Eric.  I wonder if she realized he is mine?




We then headed to the assisted living home where we played Scattegories with the residents in the activity room for an hour.  Then the kids asked questions and got to know their partners.  It was fun.  


We got through around 4:30.  5 and a half hours with some hyper middle school kids wiped me out.  

No comments: